THE NEW ORGANIC GROWER, 3RD EDITION 30TH ANNIVERSARY
Author: Eliot Coleman
Since its original publication in 1989, The New Organic Grower has been one of the most important farming books available, with pioneer Eliot Coleman leading the charge in the organic movement in the United States. Now fully illustrated and updated, this 30th Anniversary Edition is a must-have for any agricultural library.
Coleman’s books and innovative methods have helped innumerable organic farmers build successful farms in deep accordance with nature. The wisdom in this seminal book holds true even as the modern agricultural canon has grown (largely due to Coleman’s influence as a wise elder with decades of experience). New information has been included in this edition to showcase the new tools and techniques that Coleman has been developing during the last 35 years.
Inspired by European intensive growers, The New Organic Grower, 30th Anniversary Edition offers an approachable and productive form of farming that has worked well for the Earth and its stewards for centuries. Gardeners working on 2.5 acres or less will find this book especially useful, as it offers proof that small-scale market growers and serious home gardeners can live good lives close to the land and make a profit at the same time. The New Organic Grower is ideal for young farmers just getting started or gardeners seeking to expand into a more productive enterprise.
New material in this edition includes:
- Beautiful color photographs throughout, taken by master gardener and author Barbara Damrosch (Coleman’s wife and co-farmer)
- A new preface positions the book in the context of the organic farming movement as the “book done by one of the big pioneers that are still totally relevant”
- Updated information throughout on how Coleman’s practices have changed through his experiments over the years
- A new section from Damrosch about incorporating flowers on the small farm
- More information on new tools Coleman has invented that don’t appear in any of his other books