HAPPY PIGS TASTE BETTER
Author: Alice Percy
Pigs are much closer to their cousin, the wild boar, than other domesticated animals are to their wild ancestors. Ethical pig management requires understanding their natural behavior, including factors such as social grouping, mating territory, and shelter.
In Happy Pigs Taste Better, author Alice Percy advises readers on organically pasturing and feeding hogs to ensure the highest-quality gourmet meat, manage the breeding herd, and administer effective natural health care. In addition, she provides an overview of marketing and distribution for those looking to turn their hog farming operation into a lucrative business.
This book is the first of its kind to offer an in-depth approach to organic, high-welfare commercial production, including information on:
- Designing a hog business from the ground up
- Housing pigs, including the benefits and drawbacks of a number of housing systems
- Evaluating the nutritional content of common organic feedstuffs
- Butchering humanely and economically
- Record-keeping, with templates for financial tracking
Whether you’re looking to convert a conventional operation to organic, grow your backyard hog operation into a viable business, or start from scratch, this comprehensive book has got you covered.