ESSENTIAL EARTHBAG CONSTRUCTION
Author: Kelly Hart
Earthbag construction (building with polypropylene bags that are usually filled with earthen materials) is a versatile, easy-to-master, low-impact, and highly durable form of building, suitable for structures from houses to root cellars.
Containing more than 75 photos and illustrations, Essential Earthbag Construction serves as a practical guide to this affordable method of building. Going well beyond the scope of other sources, this indispensable manual is packed with all the information you need to determine if this type of construction is the right choice for your project, and, if so, to start building. Distilling decades of experience, research, and best practices, it covers:
- Material specifications, performance, and when and where to use it
- Pros and cons of different fills, from gravel to earth and clay, to insulative perlite, rice hulls, and volcanic stone
- Illustrated, step-by-step guidance for efficient bag filling and installation
- Details for various designs, including domes and arches
- Foundation options and seismic and stability considerations
- Finishing and maintenance techniques
- Tools and materials
- Additional resources
Essential Earthbag Construction presents the practical guidance and best practices for both the DIYer and professional to design and build high-quality earthbag structures.