GRIT GUIDE TO BACKYARD BEES AND HONEY, 7TH EDITION
Author: Mother Earth News8136
The Grit Guide to Backyard Bees and Honey, 7th edition has more than 39 ways to be the best beekeeper! Plus, its articles include recent studies on the honey bee’s decline; businesses that provide classes for beekeepers; lessons on capturing a swarm wherever and whenever; recipes for cooking and baking with honey; and guidance for extracting and processing of honey the easy way.
Read how to get to know your bees and the sweet truth about the life and times of one of humankind’s most important social insects. Discover the 10 items to take to the bee yard. Learn the difference between hives and the lists of pros and cons of the three top beehive designs: Top-Bar, Warre, and Langstroth. Read how to build a honey extractor from simple materials available in your local hardware store. Put down the sugar bowl and switch to honey with the wholesome recipes inside this colorful guide.
More articles include:
- Beekeeping with a Honey Bee Allergy – I had never had a problem with honey bees, so I didn’t think too much of being stung three times in short order.
- How to Install a Package of Bees – Your bees have arrived in the mail … now what?
- Nectars of Nature – What’s your favorite type of honey? Learn what factors play into honing the best-tasting honey.
- A Honey of a Meal – Honey adds something natural, healthy, and sweet to each course of any great meal: appetizers, main dishes, side dishes, desserts, and soups.
- Go Native with Wild Bees – The humble little orchard mason bee is the best-kept (pollinator) secret.
- Solving Bee Behavior Problems – Understanding normal bee behaviors is essential to identifying unusual behavior and correcting any problems.