BEGINNING SEED SAVING FOR THE HOME GARDENER
Author: Jim Ulager
If you are ordering from the 2023 Mercantile catalog, your discount is already included here! Be sure to take advantage of $10 off your order of $50 or more using the coupon code on your catalog!
Many home gardeners refuse to eat a grocery store tomato but routinely obtain seeds commercially (sometimes from thousands of miles away). And while seed saving can appear mysterious and intimidating, even home gardeners with limited time and space can experience the joy and independence it brings, freeing them from industry and the annual commercial seed order.
Beginning Seed Saving for the Home Gardener explores how seed saving is easier than we think and essential for vibrant, independent, and bountiful gardens.
Among the topics, author Jim Ulager covers:
- Why seed saving belongs in the home garden
- Principles of vegetative and sexual reproduction
- Easy inbreeding plants, including legumes, lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers
- Plants with a few more challenges, including squash, spinach, onions, and parsley
- A brief discussion of more difficult crops, including corn, carrots, and cabbage
Written by a home seed saver for the home seed saver, Beginning Seed Saving for the Home Gardener is a comprehensive guide for those who want to reclaim our seed heritage, highlighting the importance of saving seeds for you, your neighbors, and (most importantly) subsequent generations.